All You Need to Know about Squat Power Racks
Are you considering opening up a commercial gym? Or perhaps you just want to have a proper gym in your own home? Either way, you need to get what’s known as a power rack, although in some circles it’s also known as a power cage or a squat rack. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t as it only looks expensive and actually, it’s quite affordable.
What does a power rack look like
Well, it looks somewhat like a large telephone booth without the glass (and the telephone of course). There are 4 vertical posts and you have a couple of horizontal bars designed to catch your barbell at a specified height. You just adjust the horizontal bars at the sides to set how far down you can lower your barbell. Despite the simplicity of it all, it offers quite a lot of advantages for fitness buffs.
Why should you buy a power rack
Generally, there are three important reasons why you’ll need this equipment for your gym.
- It offers greater safety. There are safety pins that catch the barbell if something goes wrong. This means you can do your lifts without absolutely needing a spotter.
- It provides a lot of convenience. You’ll find it much easier to get the bar on your back for your squats.
- It’s versatile. There are a lot of different exercises you can do with just one machine like this, such as squats, inverted rows, bench presses, chin-ups, pull-ups, rack pulls, and others.
How do you buy a power/squat rack?
Just like any other piece of equipment on Earth, the price of the power rack depends on the quality of its build and the options attached. You just set a budget for yourself and then get the best one within your budget.
That just begs the question of how you can determine which one is best. When buying a power rack, here are factors you need to consider:
- Is it sturdy? A power rack shouldn’t be too light, since you’ll be setting barbells on them. It should have a load capacity of at least a thousand pounds (that’s 455 kilos). That means the build would be almost virtually metal with very little plastic.
- Is it big enough? You’ll be working out inside this contraption, so size is an important issue. Its height should give you sufficient clearance for your overhead presses. It should also be wide enough to assuage your concern about stability and give you enough room when you perform sumo squats.
- Does it have properly adjustable uprights? It should be adjustable to a lot of height options, with narrow spacing in between. There should be outside uprights too so you can do your presses outside.
- Does it have safety pins? They should be removable, or just adjustable all the way down. This way you can do your floor press inside your power rack. There should be narrow spacing as well. In some stores, “squat rack” is the term used for a power rack without safety pins.
- Does it have a pull-up and dip bar? This is so you can do your pull-ups, chin-ups, and dips. The best is to get a straight pull-up bar.