If there’s one piece of equipment that’s absolutely essential for any home gym, it’s a pair of dumbbells. Just about everyone uses them, and the workout benefits they offer are tremendous. Buying dumbbells can be much more sensible than buying the latest newfangled gym equipment available on the market. Whether you want to gain lots of mass or you want to lose weight, using dumbbells is a crucial part of your workout.
Reasons to Buy a Set of Dumbbells
There are so many reasons why you really need at least a pair or even a set of dumbbells:
- Lifting weights is an essential part of training and strength development. You can have a complete workout with just a set of dumbbells.
- Dumbbells are among the most inexpensive of gym equipment.
- It’s easy to figure out how to use them. Dumbbells are used by workout neophytes and fitness experts alike.
- They last a very long time. In fact, with proper maintenance they’re pretty indestructible. You just need to keep them dry and clean when you’re not using them
- They don’t take up much space and very easy to store.
Considering all the advantages and benefits along with the low price, dumbbells are perhaps the smartest investment you can make for your home gym.
Buying a Set of Dumbbells
Why do you need them? That’s the first thing you need to ask yourself when you buy a set of dumbbells. For those whose goal is to keep fit and perhaps tone the muscles, the ideal set of dumbbells would be composed of mostly lighter dumbbells. For advanced fitness enthusiasts who want to build really serious muscles, it should have heavier weights as well.
Then there’s the issue of fixed-weight dumbbells versus adjustable ones. Adjustable dumbbells really don’t take up space, and you can pile on the weight as you progress in your workouts. On the other hand, a set of fixed-weight dumbbells are much more durable and less likely to break.
Finally, you need to consider the material and design of the dumbbells. Each one has its own features and drawbacks.
- Steel dumbbells are common and reliable. However, you should keep them dry so they don’t rust, and if you drop them they’re apt to damage your floor.
- Iron ones are usually covered with coating or enamel paint so that they won’t rust as quickly.
- Some are covered in chrome plating, which makes them look metallic and pretty.
- Others are covered with rubber so that the dumbbells don’t do as much damage when they’re dropped inadvertently.
- A few dumbbells are covered with urethane. The urethane functions like rubber in protecting dumbbells from rust and protecting the floor when dropped, but it’s much more durable than rubber.
To get the maximum use from your dumbbells, you should also get yourself a flat bench that can be adjusted to 45 and 90 degree angles, and of course, some rubber mats to protect your floor.